Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rachel Christen

As donations keep coming in from people close to me and those I barely know, I want to share with you the generosity of a family who lost their precious daughter in May of 2008.

After living in Fort Collins for only a couple of months, I asked a fellow co-worker where she attended church. She told me that she and her husband had just moved from Georgia to work with children's ministry at a church in Fort Collins. She stated that the she felt one of the strongest aspects of the church was their college group because of their love for each other and the faith they had in seeking out God. I gave her my phone number and told her I might call her about details of the services later.

That Saturday night as I was sitting at home thinking about where to go to church the next day, my phone rang. It was one the wife of the couple that co-leads the college group at this church, Immanuel Community Church. She talked with me about the services at church and the group's study. After talking for about 20 minutes, I hung up the phone and clearly saw God calling me to this church and these group of people.

Now that I've been a part of this group for the last 6 months, I can see why my co-worker was so passionate about telling me the strength of this group. How can a group of 20-30 kids love each other like a family and welcome new people with such open hearts? Well, maybe God used the loss of a life to teach them more about who He is and the love He has for this world.

Though I never met her, Rachel Christen was a good friend to many and a strong part of the beginning of this group that used to be 3 girls and a boy! She lost her life in a car accident in May of 2008 while driving back to Fort Collins from Rocky Mountain National Park. Several of her friends who are a part of this group were in the car with her. I cannot tell you who she was, because I never knew her.

I do know she loved mission work and wanted to become a nurse....in some ways her desires were identical to mine. After speaking with her mother and with several others in the church, I applied for the trust fund that was made in honor of her and her heart for people throughout the world. They have graciously given me a large portion of the funding I need for my trip. I am blessed beyond what I could ever deserve.

Here is the link to Rachel's website. There, you will get to know her better.....

www.rachelchristen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment